Monday, June 2, 2008

Sundown Marathon Summary

5:02am. That concluded my 42.195km of suffering. Come to think of it, I felt it is not as good a timing as I have hoped. Sighs. Slower than my personal best even though I have trained pretty hard for it. Today I will recount the painful events of the inaugural Sundown Marathon. :P

The event started at 12 midnight and there wasn't that many participants as that of Standard Chartered Marathons. So that was good. My friends and I managed to squeeze ourselves into the 3:30 to 4:00 hours starting block. For those who have never participated in a marathon before, there are blocks with timings to allocate runners based on their abilities. Well, we managed to squeeze into that block and Boy I have never felt so out of placed! Haha.

The start of the race was alright. Plenty of room and I managed to start running from the Starting Line. Everything was okay. Perhaps I started slightly faster than I normally would have. I think this could be due to race anxiety. Did this affect my race? I'm not so sure but I doubt so.

Next, we ran through Coastal Road. Surprisingly, Coastal Road was not as boring as I thought it would have been. Yes it was slightly monotonous with never-ending lights but I had the luxury of having company in the form of my friend's dad. He sort of accompanied me for like half of Coastal Road. That helped in keeping the monotony manageable.

Moving on, it was the lovely East Coast. The 3 half marathon runs really helped and East Coast seemed to have passed pretty quickly. At the 20km mark, I was running slightly less than 2 hours. If I am not wrong, it is going to be one of my best half marathon timings ever!

East Coast ended at the 22km mark. Next up is the park connector to Bedok Reservoir. This particular area I felt was terrible. There were overhead bridges and the distance between distance markers seemed never ending. In addition, there were areas which were not lit. This made running quite unpleasant. Slightly after the 24km mark, I could feel terrible things happening to my legs. I was feeling the treat of cramps! Crap! So around 25 to 26km, I had to start walking. Crap.

Anyway, ever since then, everything went downhill. Not literally but everything looked bleak. I kept with the tactic of walking for two lamp posts and running for 6 to 10 lamp posts. Somehow each time I tried to run more than 10 lamp posts, my legs take over and I will feel a slight twang in one of the muscles. Then I have to walk. It's pretty demoralizing. And it is always at this moment in time I ask myself why do i put myself through such torture. I tell myself that this is the last marathon ever. Then I recall that I have signed up for the Gold Coast Marathon. Crap! Not the last marathon yet. Sighs.

Well Bedok Reservoir came and went. The next landmark to look forward to was Down Town East which meant that it's slightly more than 6km left. Down Town East took almost forever to come and when it did, my muscles was giving up on me. Right then, more and more people were overtaking me. What a rubbish race. So much pain then.

Loyang Avenue soon came. This was followed by the memorable Hendon Camp and the lovely Netheravon Road. Much as I tried, the muscles kept cramping up. It feels like someone is grabbing my calves and my thighs. What a terrible feeling. Soon, we came near the jetty and that meant less than 200m more to go. I really did try to complete running but I think I walked much quicker than when I ran. Haha. Well, 5:02am. Race ended. I collected my medal and the t-shirt. It always feel good to have the medal and the t-shirt. Well done to myself and my friends. All of them finished ahead of me. Including my friend's dad. Well done friends. I just hope that the Gold Coast Marathon would be much better than this. Fingers Crossed!

No comments: