Thursday, April 3, 2008

Buying Shoes

I'm heading down to the Asics Sale later with my friends. Hopefully, I would see a pair of shoes I like and get one at a good price. Currently, I have two pairs of running shoes and both are from New Balance. If you are new to running, here are some brands you should consider when buying running shoes.

Notice that the brands with a certain tick or three stripes are not in the list? Well, in my humble opinion, the shoes they sell may not be the best for running enthusiasts. Even though they're shoes look better and so much cooler, I feel that in terms of quality, they lose out to these brands. On top of which, I have heard of friends complaining their 'branded' shoes wear our really fast and the handiwork isn't the best. Hence, it is my recommendation that you consider other brands such as the ones listed above.

So what should you look out for when you get your pair of running shoes? Here are some tips which I picked up from somewhere. Don't remember where though.

Kind of running shoes

Firstly, it is important to know why you buy your shoes for. Is it for running short races? ie your 2.4km run? or is it for longer races like for marathons? or you just want to get a pair for your jogs?

By knowing what you want, you should get a better idea of what type of shoes to look at. If you are looking for one to get you that elusive Gold for your 2.4km run, you should consider getting racers. Racers are shoes that are really really really light. However, because of its need for lightness, the shoes do not provide good support. It's akin to running barefoot I feel.

The other kind of shoes, in general, I would just called them trainers. In Asics, they have a line called DS Trainers, amongst others. The other brands, I'm not really sure what they call it. Well, these 'other shoes' provide much more support in many areas of your feet. It is advisable to get these kind of shoes if you subject your feet to very long distance runnings.

But of course, in this group of 'other shoes', they can be further broken down into many various aspects. It can be divided by the width of your feet, the level of arch in your feet, etc. But this article today will not cover this in detail.

Fit

The second thing is about fit. Do the shoes fit? What is the appropriate fit? I read somewhere before that there is even an appropriate time to go buy shoes. It was mentioned in the forgotten article that your shoes will expand throughout the day and it is recommended that you buy your shoes during the afternoon when it is the biggest. To date, I have no idea if this guy is kidding or not. But it matters not to me nor should it to you. Because most shoes are sold only after 11! Royal Sporting House opens after 11. Queensway too. So, this sort of negates this issue of big feet in the afternoon.

Next, how big should your shoes be? The guideline is that when you squeeze your feet all the way to the back of the shoe, you shoe have about a thumb space in the front of your shoes. Why? A best fit shoe will result in your toes jamming to the front of the shoes very often. This will lead to very painful feet. So get one that is slightly bigger.

Well, that's it from me now. I will keep you updated on buying shoes, and other stuff soon.

Ciao

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some good suggestions. http://www.aofas.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3300