Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Another Tiring Run

It's 1.30am and I just finish my shower after a really late night run. Before the run, I was pretty lazy. My body has been and still is aching from a much needed gym work out the day before. In addition, I have also done two rounds Bedok Reservoir on Monday. Hence my legs were aching like mad. I believe my laziness and procrastination for today's run is very much justified.

However, as I was busy contemplating whether to go ahead with my run, a really good friend gave me a buzz to check on me? He wanted to know if I have already done my run. Dang that friend. Made me feel so guilty. Well he caught me at a really bad time as I was busy searching for stuff at home. So I made my usual excuses and he gave the usual "that is so expected of you" replies and I guess I couldn't stand the goading. Hence, I gave him some assurance that I may go for that run. The probability of me running after that important phone call jumped from 20% to a 70%. So as I said, Dang that friend.

Well at 10pm, I got into the car and off I went to the far end of Singapore - Changi Village. That place brings back so many memories but these stories are for another day. Anyway, I reached at about 1030 and got started on my run along Loyang Avenue and to Pasir Ris Drive 3. This run was meant to be a build up to the impending Sundown Marathon which is now 10 days away. Crap! Well, the run from Pasir Ris Drive 3 then through Loyang Avenue is so called the home stretch for Sundown Marathon. The purpose of the run was to familiarize myself with the route from Pasir Ris to Loyang Avenue so that I know what to expect during the marathon - Where will there be never-ending upslopes, and where I can enjoy the downslopes.

Running alone at night is really different. In a sense, there is this lack of security. It's dark and the vehicles along Loyang Avenue zoom pass you like nobody's business. For me, Changi brings back mixed memories and a little fear due to the reputation of the place. There are still parts of Changi which makes the hair on the back of my neck stand. Say that I'm a Wuss I don't really care. You don't really know fear until you feel that hair behind your neck stand. Well, that said, I didn't really enjoy my return to Changi that much.

After all that's been said, I completed my run. Made my turn just after Downtown East and made my short pit stop or pee stop there before heading back. Note to self and to anyone who cares to listen. It is uncomfortable to run with a full bladder or a half-full bladder for that matter. All in all, I finished my run in 1hr 20min. I went to a webbie to check the distance and that came to about 12.2km. That's pretty good given the fact of my entire aching body and legs.

At the end of this day, I'm pretty happy with the run. Thanks to my good friend for egging me on. Need it sometimes. (please note the word some and not all the). It's now 2am. I'm trying to sleep later as I try to "acclimatize" to the later hours. Have a good night and see you soon. Cheers

No comments: