Thursday, May 22, 2008

Calories Calories Calories

Everytime you eat something or you go for a run on the treadmill, you see this word - Calories. So what exactly is it? I know it means something and something important but what exactly is it?

Calories are units of energy. No calories no energy. So you eat calories and you burn calories. It's neither good or bad. It is due to one's consumption of calories that makes it bad. If you eat loads of food (ie loads of calories) but you are not very active (ie do not burn off your calories) then you put on weight!

So how much calories do you require a day? I found this webbie which I think it's pretty good in calculating the amount of calories you need a day. For myself, I require 3032 calories a day to maintain my current weight. This is based on the calculation of your Basal Metabolic Rate and adding your level of activity. Basal Metabolic Rate or (BMR) measures the amount of energy you need if you are at rest for the entire day, something like that. It depends on your age, weight, height and even gender. On top of BMR, you would have to include the level of activity you participate in a day, whether you are very lazy and don't move a lot, or you are hyper active and exercise strenuously everyday.

So that's how you calculate how much calories you need a day. I hope you find this information useful. Now for myself, I hope I remember it.

No comments: