Sunday, May 4, 2008

What's your weight?

I'm back after a nice family trip out of sunny Singapore. Actually, I just came back from my first run since my return. Didn't want to run but figured my tight schedule coerced me into making myself run. But nonetheless, I felt quite good after my run. I did about 30 min and I guess it's about 5.5km. That's my guess. Will try to find out the distance when I have more time at my computer.

Well anyway, I came back and measured myself on the weighing machine. I am so glad to report that I have not gained weight during my enjoyable and delicious time overseas. I'm still at my average weight of XXkg. :P For the past 6 years at least, I have not gain nor loss much weight. My weight hovered at XXkg plus minus 1kg. I personally feel pretty good at myself.

But how do you know whether you are overweight, underweight or just nice? To me it's all about personal preference. What's important is to feel comfortable with yourself. But officially, I believe that the Body Mass Index (BMI) is used by international and the local organizations to see if you are overweight or not.

So what is it? BMI is a measure of a person's weight to his/her height squared. So if you are 1.8m tall and 75kg, then using a calculator, your BMI is 75kg divide by 1.8(squared). That gives you 23.1. That makes you just nice. A BMI under 18.5 means you are underweight. Above 25 means you are overweight. In between that and you are just nice. Some consider that Asian men above 23 to be overweight.

For myself, I have a BMI of 24.9. Does that make me overweight? In my humble opinion, no. At my slimmest and my biggest, I have always been this weight and hence this BMI. I like to tell myself that I have big and heavy bones. Haha. Hence I have never thought it to be a problem.

Well then how do you know whether you are overweight or not? I'll try to do more research and keep you updated. Cheers

No comments: